Wednesday, October 29, 2014

How to Clean Your Makeup Brushes...

"You do what with your makeup brushes?"
Is a question I have heard many times from different women in my life. 
I of course repeat myself and say, "I CLEAN my makeup brushes".
I'm laughing inside because once, I too, had no idea that my makeup brushes needed cleaned sometime or another. 
I have learned the hard way that dirty makeup brushes do indeed hold a lot of bacteria..
Just think of the dust, dirt, makeup, oil, skin particles, etc.. that get built up in your brushes over time.

I learned that all of the bacteria and product that is built up in makeup brushes, can cause acne.
I do suffer from acne and a lot of my severe times have had a lot to do with having dirty makeup brushes!
After learning my lesson and faithfully participating in cleaning my brushes, my acne has definitely improved.
Now it's not totally gone, it's a work in progress, but my skin has definitely changed.
I have heard through the grapevine...that your brushes should be cleaned at least once a week. 
Face brushes should the ones that are more faithfully cleaned, but eye shadow brushes are just as important.

So as I was cleaning my brushes this evening, I decided to document some pictures to share with you guys! 
I hope this gives you an idea of how you too can clean your makeup brushes.. Enjoy!
*

-The only product I use on my brushes is Antibacterial- Dawn Dish Soap-
I only use Dawn because I know it is safe and not too harsh on the brushes. If it can be used to clean animals, it can clean my nasty brushes.

*
    
*
I squirt some soap on a kitchen plate and swirl each brush head into the soap.
Make sure to cover the entire head of the brush and massage the soap into the brush hairs.
*
*
As I move from one brush to the other, I lay them down on a clean paper towel until each brush is coated in soap.
*
Once I am finished soaking the brushes, It's now time to clean!
One by one take a face brush and swirl it in the palm of your hand to get the soap really worked into the brush head.
After it's all sudsy and messy, it's time to rinse.
Make sure your sink water is at a lukewarm temperature. 
Too hot can harm the brushes and too cold won't clean the makeup out.
*
*
When getting the brushes wet, make sure to not let water enter the brush past this point.
If the water happens to get inside of this break, it can eat away the glue and your brush hairs will start to fall out.
*
*
When time to dry, I place my brushes head down on a clean towel. 
Leaning them face down onto the towel will help any excess water to drip out of the brushes and prevent any water from entering the bottom of the handle. 
*
*
Repeat the same steps for any eye shadow brushes.
These dry a lot faster than face brushes do, so I usually just lay them down on the same towel to save room.
*
*
Because I did just do this tonight, I don't have the after picture. 
But I will add it onto here tomorrow once the brushes are dry!
I hope you all enjoy this post and have fun cleaning :)

*
My brushes are products from
Sigma Beauty:
http://www.sigmabeauty.com/default.asp
Real Techniques: (also at ULTA)
http://realtechniques.com/
Bh Cosmetics:
www.bhcosmetics.com
Sally's Beauty Supply:
www.sallybeauty.com
*
If you want further detail on my brushes or which ones I specifically have, just message me and I'll let you know!


No comments:

Post a Comment